Monday, September 27, 2010

Indies: Stand up for yourselves

Hi again, June,

Well, today is a big indie day, isn't it? The President signed the Small Business Jobs Act.

But I, for one, am confused about capital expenditures vs "bonus depreciation".

I am a consulting psychologist in private practice [for 25 years], and was going to buy a new computer. I seem to remember that the IRS has had a maximum amount of business expense you can write off all at once, as opposed to having to depreciate it. I have always depreciated my computers/printers, etc. How does the new law affect us indies?

Can I now write off the whole thing in one tax year?

Thanks,
Mark
Fairfax Station, VA



Hi Mark,

I gather you are the same Mark who sent me this Q&A Software Cannot Replace Experience a while ago. And, I gather you did not take my advice -- still doing your own tax return. Right? Big mistake unless you absolutely cannot afford a pro or there is not one available to you.

You can write off the cost of your entire computer as long as the cost was $250,000 or less. You get a better deduction if ,instead, you take advantage of the bonus depreciation feature. However, the deduction must be spread out over time. Which method is better for you depends on your entire financial picture at the moment and predicted for the future. Which is why you need a pro.

Go back and read that experience post of mine. Please. I think it might save you some money.

And while you're reading I suggest this one too, What's a small business? Yes, it is an important day for small business. Could have been a lot more important had we had some more congress people willing to help the likes of you rather than the likes of those who make a lot more money than you.

I don't know yet how the new Small Business Act will impact indies. Once it's signed it then must be interpreted. Then the interpretation must be understood and agreed upon.

Indies, please pay attention to who votes for what and who advocates for which kind of tax change. That you can now deduct 100% of your health care costs and may deduct for a home office as well as have another work location are tax changes that came about because of the work and attention of your fellow indies.

You are 40 million strong. You have the power and the clout.

-- June

No comments: