Friday, September 3, 2010

Easy Recordkeeping


Hi June,

I live in Philadelphia, PA. I'm a calligrapher and journalist and I've been an indie for 5 years (and I'm originally from Santa Fe!)

I wanted to ask about the worksheets you provide on your website. What format are these in? Excel? PDFs?

Are they meant to replace an accounting method or are they intended to use at the end of the year for tax time?

I'm having a hard time finding simple accounting software and was wondering if you have any suggestions for Excel spreadsheets (other than me making my own). I was going to go in any copy the system you suggest in the book but I just wanted to make sure these sheets don't already exist for purchase.

QuickBooks is just way too complicated for my needs...

Many thanks,
Mara


Hi Mara,

Just returned from vacation in Jemez Springs. Being an ex Santa Fean I assume it's an area you know And, BTW, my daughter lives in Philly.

I am not sure what you refer to when you say worksheets that I provide on my website. On my site I offer for sale my 2010 manual recordkeeping how-to guide:The Confident Indie: Five Easy Steps. It has my worksheets in it.

Five Easy Steps shows indies the most simple way to keep records -- manually. In the 75 page publication are the worksheets which I developed over more than 20 years of working with indies.

The worksheets are PDFs; they are not in Excel. They are your means of presenting your self-employed tax information to your preparer.

Accompanying each worksheet, if necessary, is a description or instructions. Some of the worksheets follow the format of an actual IRS form but modify it in such a way as to make it more understandable and useful to you and your tax preparer.

First comes the recordkeeping; then come the worksheets.

Excel is not a recordkeeping program. It is simply a spreadsheet. Just like those old systems that had you putting things in little boxes then adding them up. Excel does the addition for you. It does nothing more regarding recordkeeping.

I agree with you, QuickBooks is too complex. It's for professional bookkeepers and accountants. It's a double entry system not for the layman. If you want to keep records manually, I strongly recommend you buy Five Easy Steps and follow my Most Simple System method. If your want to keep your records on computer I highly recommend Quicken -- just ignore all the latest bells and whistles. As one of my Learning Tools I did have a pub on adapting Quicken for indies. [Quicken is really is for W-2 people and small businesses.] However, it's out of date re the Quicken version I reference and I haven't yet revised it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know.

Best,
June

No comments: