Sunday, September 5, 2010

Stage Mom -- sort of -- asks the questions for child model

Ms. Walker,

I bought your book Saturday night (Self Employed Tax Solutions - 2nd Edition) and highlighting stuff as I go, LOVE IT!!!!! I am only on page 52, soaking up every word you say!

Great to know. Thank you.

I HAVE TWO MAIN QUESTIONS:

I am in a really strange situation and can find ABSOLUTELY NO BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT MATTER! I have a daughter who is 13 and studying to be an actor/model. All the contracts we have signed say she is an "independent contractor". I understand that means she is responsible for own taxes, at the age of 13. ??? Yes.


Okay her taxes? or my taxes? Her taxes.

If she does a job for a client, the client pays the agent, the agent pays my daughter and then daughter has to pay a percentage (as stated in our contract) to her talent manager. Is there book on this stuff? Not sure what you're asking. If you're asking is there a book on this subject. yes, mine. The one you are reading. Your daughter is self-employed.


If you are asking about expenses, then the payment to the talent manager is a business expense against your daughter's self-employed income paid to her by her agent.

Holy cow! My head is spinning. This is our first year and how no idea what to expect when tax season rolls around.

And since I am paying the Talent Manager a commission, no taxes removed, is there something I need to worry about there? Your daughter, that is using her name and social security #, must send a Form 1099 to the talent manager at year-end. Here's some info 1099s W2s W4s W9s .


And are they deductible in the year occurred or year actually paid, When paid because your daughter is a cash-basis taxpayer. Read this post Cash vs Accrual Recordkeeping .
as most of the work here in South Florida is done October through March.

If for some reason she gets no work this year (2010) and I am told most of her work will probably be in January (2011), do I have expenses I can deduct? Yes. 2010 expenses are deducted in 2010 even if there is no income.

I am keeping records best I can but now after reading only half your book, I see I missed a lot of expenses - DUH! Keep on reading.

Thank you.
Annette


Annette, you had many, many more questions. Stop spinning. After you've finished reading my book, go talk with a tax pro. Ask your daughter's agent or talent manager to recommend someone.

Best,
June

No comments: