Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lots Of Travel Expense Info

Katie had requested my Self-employed Business Expenses list. On the request form I ask: Where do you get most of your tax advice? Katie's response was "I don't... :( "

My response: "Please don't say 'I don't ...?' Your homework: Read my site or blog 15 minutes a day!"

I advise that to any indie who doesn't get any simple and accurate tax or recordkeeping advice.


Katie sent the following:
Thank you so much for all the information you have provided me! I've been reading your site everyday for a good 15 mins... or more!

I'm still confused on travel expenses for my field of work. As a free lance stage manager, I often go to other cities for weeks at a time. (Mobile, AL for 4 weeks, Tulsa, OK for 9 weeks, etc.). They often house me, but I drive there and around the city as well as provide my own meals when out of town. There usually is not much or no kitchen available to me and I end up eating out most of my time there. Can I deduct my mileage while I am there and driving around? Also, am I allowed to take the IRS per diem? I was unclear what exactly I am able to deduct while I'm out of town.

Thanks for any help that you could provide! (I'm working on getting your book at the library and look forward to reading it!)

Katie
Shawnee, KS



Dear Katie,

Take a look at these posts expenses expenses -- travel (17) and these expenses -- travel-per diem-temporary worksite (10) . I think you'll find you answers there. If not please let me know.

-- June

No comments: