Sunday, January 18, 2009

Software Cannot Replace Experience

Hi June,

I am a clinical and consulting psychologist who has been a sole proprietor for over 20 years.

I've started working on my taxes and have a question.

Earlier this year I spent $1,062 to purchase the latest version of a psychological test that I use regularly in my practice. I had thought that it would be considered an "office supply" and that I could write off the entire amount as a supply expense. But in using TurboTax, it asked me about a depreciable asset. It seems that by definition (something that has a life of more than a year but will become obsolete eventually) this test is not an office supply, it's a depreciable asset. In the end, TurboTax told me that it was a "special" depreciable asset that I could take a one-time deduction for, of only $561! How do I legally handle this - asset or supply?

Thanks,
Dr. Mark
Fairfax Station, VA


Dear Dr. Mark,


You see, I've been feeling really depressed. Suicidal actually. I bought this software program Mind-Mend. Says it has taken 20+years of psychiatric experience and rolled it up into this software program. There are 10 steps to avoiding stress. One step says do 15 minutes of meditation each day. Another step has me stand on my head for 10 minutes so that my circulation increases. My gym instructor says I should not stand on my head because of an old army injury. I am confused, what should I do?

As a doctor you might tell me that stress and suicidal tendencies call for different levels of treatment as well as different levels of urgency and that I should speak with a professional. You might also say that there is no way that 20 years personal experience could be put into a software program and have the same success rate as weekly visits with a therapist when treating something as complex as suicide.

This is my round-about of saying what I have said on this blog many times before: A software program written for the simple world of employees cannot replace a tax pro experienced with indie tax situations. Search "turbo tax" on my blog or go here for more info tax pros - tax prep fees - tax returns (21) .

Software is a supplies expense in almost all circumstances.


Best,
June

No comments: