Thursday, January 29, 2009

Need to feed the kids? Freelance AND work a job.


June,

I was reading your site. Great info!

I have a question. I've run my own business for almost four years. Due to the economic downturn, I've sent my resume out a few places. I have a job offer that I am considering with a firm...I don't really want to work for someone else, but the kids need to eat.

A few questions:

1. I intend to keep my other business going...I have a few commitments and can't shut it down completely. Will having most of my income W2 prevent me from taking normal business deductions?

2. The job offer is ok, but there are no benefits at all. I want to keep deducting my health insurance premiums through my business. They say there is some kind of group plan I can get into, but I'd have to pay 100% of the premiums...so they pay nothing. Can I still deduct health insurance premiums through my business?

Please advise,
Steven

Albuquerque, NM


Dear Steven,


Glad you like my site. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, you may work as an employee as well as freelance as a self-employed. Amount of income from each is not a factor as long as you are trying to make money as a self-employed. You may still deduct all your indie business expenses against your self-employed income even if it results in a loss. That loss would be deducted from your W-2 income.

You may not deduct health insurance premiums as a self-employed if your employer provides a group plan, even if you pay 100% of the premiums. If you continue to have insurance on your own as a self-employed you may deduct the premium cost as an adjustment to income on your tax return.

-- June

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You stated: "You may not deduct health insurance premiums as a self-employed if your employer provides a group plan, even if you pay 100% of the premiums. ** I understand this perfectly.

But, does your next sentence relate directly to the first? You state" If you continue to have insurance on your own as a self-employed you may deduct the premium cost as an adjustment to income on your tax return."

Do you mean that an individual who works for an employer (that provides any type of group health insurance) and is also self employed may deduct a separate, non-employer related health insurance premium? I thought that if an individual (who is employed and self employed) may not deduct a personally purchased health insurance policy premium if he/she has the option of purchasing health insurance through his/her employer, or if their spouse (MFJ) can particate in a group heath insurance plan provided by the employer.

Gosh, so sorry that this was a mega-run on sentence!

June Walker said...

You may deduct separate, non-employer medical insurance if you have exhausted the coverage provided by the employer and still want to purchase supplemental coverage -- e.g. dental coverage; something that covers your deductible.

-- June