Friday, January 30, 2009

Working and Traveling in More Than One State


June --

IT Consultant. I started work on 1099 in Oct 2008 on a 6 month contract in CA.

As a 1099 I am subject to self employment tax for Social Security and Medicare. Does CA have any additional self employment taxes to be paid?

If I travel to CA from TX on Sunday evening around 6pm and reach at 10pm, can I claim the full per diem amount for lodging and meals for that day or can I claim the per diem amount only on the days I work in CA?

Thank you
Bill
Dallas, TX


Dear Bill,

California has no self-employment tax. You may be subject to CA income tax. Read my posts here taxes -- state / nonresident state (6)

Travel meal expenses are explained in my posts here expenses -- travel (17) and here expenses -- meals and entertainment (12) and here .

-- June

No comments: