Sunday, June 13, 2010

Single Mom in a Messy Situation


June --

The sole practitioner attorney I work for didn't want to put me on "payroll" and have me technically be an employee for tax and other reasons.

He helped me get incorporated as I also had a brief (craft shows) side business I wanted to start, which failed. He pays me an extra $2.75 hour towards the taxes.

It has messed me up with some things -- As a single mom and trying to get help and having to provide proof of income; Costing $300 a year to the accountant; Extra extra steps in getting mortgage financing. Even now in my attempt to modify my loan, he signs a paper saying I'll continue to provide administrative services.

Now, I am considering applying for SSI disability benefits and realize that this is going to put a huge damper on things. Especially since it goes by past pay.

I am not really an independent contractor. I'm his secretary and only an Independent on paper for his benefit and my detriment.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Chrissy
Legal Secretary/Assistant; 7 years as an indie
Dania Beach, FL


Dear Chrissy,

You say you're not an independent contractor. You probably knew that when you set up this deal with the attorney. So we can't blame this entirely on him. You must take some responsibility for your situation.

OK. Now that you've taken some responsibility, I really blame him. He's an attorney. You're a single mom in desperate need of income. It appears he took advantage of you.

As an attorney he is an officer of the court and is supposed to adhere to high standards of integrity, and he knows better than to stoop to this kind of tax evasion.

You need to dissolve the corporation immediately. How your accountant went along with your corporation since it's just you a legal secretary and a crafts person is difficult for me to understand. You might just want to call your local H&R Block office and see if you can set up an appointment with someone there who can dissolve the corp and file the final corporate returns. You might ask the attorney to cover the fees for this.

The next step takes some heavy thinking on your part. Do you want to pursue your options in dealing with this fraudulent situation in which the attorney may have placed you? If you do then contact the State of Florida Agency for Workplace Innovation . Or you may email directly to peter.dehaan@awi.state.fl.us for advice.

It may be hard for you to extract yourself from this mess, but you must. Do not go along with anything that isn’t legitimate and be sure you completely understand potential consequences before making any decisions. Bring a savvy friend with you to any meetings.

Good Luck.
June

No comments: