Friday, June 11, 2010

Keep It Simple: Round Off

Hi June,

I have been working as an IT Contractor from home for three years.

Occasionally, I have local travel expenses relating to my business (driving to the bank, post office, or home office store). I have been keeping good records and track of mileage. However, I am confused as to the rounding of mileage. If a trip is 2.5 miles, for example, should I record that as 2.5 miles or 3 miles?

Thanks, Billy
Arlington, VA


Hi Billy,

I always round off numbers, whether mileage or money. Five or more brings it up to the next whole number. Less than five does not. And I never do pennies.

So:
2.5 = 3
2.4 = 2
$1.85 = $2
$49.49 = $49

-- June

1 comment:

June Walker said...

I completely forgot I sent you this. :)
Billy

My husband says I need to clone myself then I'd be able send a TIMELY answer to EVERY question sent by an indie. I'm working on it.

Cheers,
June