Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New to indie life? Where To Start


June --

Computer Consultant Only 2 months.

Few things i have going: Recently married on May 22nd I worked part of the year as a W2 and my wife has always worked w2. I recently started working as a 1099 contractor on May 3rd. Basically i receive $9200.00 every two weeks and my expenses run about $1300.00 every week. Expenses include Flight, hotel, meals, car service. I have kept and recorded all receipts.

I am not sure how much i should be withholding or pre-paying in taxes every quarter. Also how does my w2 income and my wife's w2 income play into calculating a correct tax.

Mark
Orlando, Florida


Dear Mark,

Congratulations on your marriage and your new indie venture.

You're in a new situation. You need information, too much for me to provide in one blog post. I recommend you start by reading a short column on my website, such as: I Am A Business and also Is it a deductible business expense? . Also read Estimated Taxes, a post on my blog which will help answer your questions about how much and how to pay quarterly taxes and how your W2 earnings come into play.

If you like what you read there, I encourage you to read a copy of my book, Self-employed Tax Solutions. Take a look at the Table of Contents to see the topics covered. Solutions answers many of the most common self-employed questions in the same easy-to-understand style you'll find in my columns.

And more than just answering those taxing questions, the information in Solutions will give you a firm foundation on which to build your solo venture!

I wish you much success.
-- June

No comments: