Friday, November 13, 2009

Tax Return Do-Overs: Must be done within 3 years


June, June, June.....WHY didn't I discover your site, 10 years ago. For most of those 10 years, I used a guy to do my taxes who obviously knows nothing of the tax code. He indicated to me that a large % of my deductions were not tax deductible because I was reimbursed for them. BUT I was reimbursed on a 1099 NOT separately on a W-2, expenses were included in my income. How far back can I go to correct past tax returns and maybe, reduce the dollars I owe to the IRS??

Thank you sincerely for your attention to my question.
Anna
Mcallen, TX


Dear Anna,

You may file an amended return up to three years after the deadline of April 15. So, a 2007 return filed on or before April 15, 2008 has until April 15, 2011 to be amended.

If you filed later than April 15 -- on a valid extension -- you have until 3 years after the filing date.

Anyone wishing more info on reimbursed expenses might want to read these posts: expenses -- reimbursed .

Best,
June

No comments: