Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Indies: Your creation is your work and is subject to SE tax.

Hi June,

I'm typographer, graphic artist for 10+ years.


What a great website and I will look at your books/CDs.

I have a question. I make fonts. Other people sell my fonts on their websites. They send me royalty checks. Do I pay self employment tax on that royalty income? Most of my time is spent making fonts but I also do some logos and design work if that makes any difference.

Thank you SO much.
Rae
Madison, WI



Dear Rae,

Glad my site is helpful to you.

Yes, your income from font design is self-employed income and is subject to self-employment tax. Same with a musician who wrote a song and sold it or a writer who wrote a book and sold it. It's what you do to earn a living. It's your earned income.

Any royalties a self-employed artist receives for his work is self-employed income.

If you sold the wagon or bike cluttering your garage -- not self-employed income.

-- June

No comments: