Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Donating Time: 10 Cents A Minute

Hello June,

I am from Medford, OR and although I work full time at a commercial printer, I wrote a book on college choices and am selling it for profit on top of my regular job. I just began.

I read your answer to "You Asked ... Q&A No.7: No deduction for donated work or services" but I have a further question: what if I took time off of work (and lost money I could have earned) to speak at to high school students about college. Even though I lost income to do so, is it still not deductible?

Thanks,
Crystal


Hello Crystal,

A while ago there was a cell phone commercial that advertised 24/7 calling for only 10 cents a minute. And throughout the ad people would pop up with questions such as: Even on weekends? Response: Yes, 10 cents a minute. Then another pop up would ask: What about at three in the morning? Response: Yes, 10 cents a minute. And what about if I call while travelling? Response: Yes, 10 cents a minute.

It's
the same with the questions I get about donating time. Doesn't matter if Attila Attorney works at the battered women's shelter and forgoes $600 an hour income or Lorenzo Landscaper cuts the grass for the church and is out thirty bucks an hour. NO DEDUCTION for their time for either of them.

You might want to read all these posts on donating time expenses -- donated services or products.

Best,
June

No comments: