Thursday, October 4, 2007

Going Legit

June --

I am a website owner and operator. I make money from ads.

I haven't really made that much in the past 5 years or so (or paid taxes) but this year, it has really taken off. I don't have a DBA or anything like that, but I really need to get everything legit. I can't even get a loan or a credit card because as far as everyone knows I haven't had a job for years. But I made about $10,000 last month alone. Reading various articles on your website has me a little scared to go to a local cpa. I'm not sure what I need to do.

Brian from Juliet, TN


Hello Brian,

Yours is not a unique situation.


For starters you do not need a DBA. For more info, read this DBA: Doing Business As -- It's just a name .

You may be able to get a "no income verification" loan. That means the bank doesn't look at what you earn but what you own.

Some credit card companies will give you a card with a very low credit line. After several months of proving yourself a good risk, upon request, they will increase the line of credit.

You do not need a CPA, you need a tax preparer with knowledge about taxes for the self-employed and experience working with indies. There are several posts here about picking a tax pro. Whether or not you get the right pro depends on on how you go about looking for one. As these posts point out, you need to ask the right questions when you interview him or her.

Keep in mind that as an indie you are responsible for your financial well-being. That means you need information about taxes and recordkeeping and a lot more. If you like what you read on my blog and website, I encourage you to buy a copy of my book, Self-employed Tax Solutions. The book answers many of the most common self-employed questions in the same easy-to-understand style you'll find in my columns.

Best of luck!

June

No comments: