Saturday, May 5, 2007

Quick Questions and Looming Deadlines

I got the following email on April 13 from Bob Smith. I usually don't give last names but something tells me his is a pseudonym. And, if it's not, I used to live in NJ so I know he's well hidden.


The kinds of questions I get usually can be categorized into a few areas. They are usually about specific expenses or generally what kinds of expenses can be deducted, and requests for explanations about taxes paid by indies. Sometimes I get a tough question that needs research on my part -- I'm doing one now for a cruise ship entertainer. There's always the new-to-self-employment folks who don't know where to start, and there's those seeking advice about my fellow tax professionals.

The thing is, when I get an email like the one below, my first response is: You have got to be kidding! You really expect an accurate, thoughtful response to this? And you want it in time to file your return in a couple days?!$#*&!

Well, I didn't get to Bob's email until now and I suppose he has already filed his return, but I'm hoping you, my readers, can learn something from Bob.

Bob is a financial analyst. Taxes and money are not a foreign language to someone in his profession. Well, here are his "quick questions." By the way, on my website a good while ago I wrote the column How to ask a question: "Quick Advice" or, "What is the meaning of Life." So many people start their inquiries with, I have a "quick question" that my husband assessment is, sure, the quick question is akin to "what's the meaning of life."

So, here's Bob's email and my "quick" answers in bold.

Hi - nothing like cutting it close. I worked as a self-employed consultant (as a financial analyst) last year for 3 different firms - 2 in NY and 1 in Connecticut. I worked on-site about 2/3 of the time and from my home for the remainder. I have a few quick questions:

1) What kinds of expenses can I deduct? All business expenses.
And, Bob, you never requested my free indie expenses list --
just a click away at about 4 or 5 places on my site and blog.


I was reimbursed by the Connecticut firm for mileage and tolls, but this reimbursement was included in the 1099 - where on the tax return would I deduct them? There are several columns and posts on my site and blog about how to handle reimbursed expenses. Click "reimbursed expenses" on the left side of my blog.

2)Since I was traveling from my home office to on-site offices some of the time are these travel expenses deductible (and not counted as commuting?) The room I worked in at home is not exclusively an office (worked on the family computer) so is it safe to assume I can't take a home office deduction, There are several columns and posts on my site and blog about "home office," however, I think you already know that the answer to this is: you don't qualify for home office. and that to be considered business mileage it must be from one business event or location to another.There's but I can still deduct the costs of printer supplies, cell phone, etc.? Yes, you can. And, you know what? It's all in the columns about home office. Just takes a little reading and analysis.

3) Do I need to file state tax returns for CT and NY? (I'm a NJ resident). Yup. For all three states.

Thanks for your assistance. Bob

Bob, I sure hope you filed for an extension and will plan better for next year. Also, hope you didn't mind my using your email as an education tool.

Best regards,
June

No comments: