Saturday, May 5, 2007

Free Advice

June,

I am a freelance writer . I just was poking around and would love any free information you've got! I'm worried about that number I saw on your home page Did you know? Approximately $400 of every $1,000 net self-employed income you earn goes to the governments. Is that right?

My primary employer is only giving out 1099s once this year and I've been told I'm going to get "zapped" this time next year. Any practical advice you've got for a newbie would be great.

Jesse in NYC


Hello Jesse,

I'll start at the end of your email: What do you mean by "my primary employer is only giving out 1099s once this year?"

Self-employeds do not have employers, only employees have employers. And, 1099s are sent out once a year, at year-end, just as are W-2s.

Also you ask if the $400 of every $1,000 going to taxes is right? If you clicked the link and read the column that the statement linked to, you would have known that the statement is correct.

You ask for free advice. Could it be you're looking for easy advice? If you are self-employed, you are a business and with being a business comes the responsibility of being a business person and handling your indie venture in a businesslike manner.

So, your email tells me that you need information, too much for me to provide in one email or one blog post. I recommend you start by reading a short column on my website. Try
Take charge. Learn. Pay less tax. 7 Advantages of Self-employment

If you like what you read there, I encourage you to buy a copy of my book,
Self-employed Tax Solutions, featured in BusinessWeek. It's not free but on Amazon it cost about only $13. The book answers many of the most common self-employed questions in the same easy-to-understand style you'll find in my columns.

And more than just answering those taxing questions, the information in Solutions will give you a firm foundation on which to build your solo venture!

I wish you much success.

Best regards,
June Walker

No comments: