Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tax & Marriage

Hi June,

I attended your session at CFC last year. I'm a Chicago graphic designer (sole prop) and have been in business for 10 years. I recently got married and am wondering if you have any specific advice regarding how to approach taxes now that I'm married (I checked your website but didn't see anything relating exactly).

Thanks for any insight you can offer!
lidia


Hello Lidia,

First, let me wish you joy and happiness and good wishes on your marriage.

Assuming you and your husband do not work together in your design business then marriage has no impact on your sole proprietorship graphic design business tax, per se.

However, being married may have a profound impact on your overall tax. For instance, a married couple with taxable income of $100,000 will pay less tax than a single person with $100,000 taxable income. Yet, two single people each with $50,000 taxable income may pay less tax than a married couple with $100,000 taxable income.

As I explained here Taxes: Which ones and how much do I pay? and here Estimated Taxes your tax is based on yours and your husband's entire income and deductions. That includes earned income, investment income, medical deductions, etc.

-- June

No comments: