Thursday, April 1, 2010

Deducting Education Expenses


June --

Massage Therapy 1 year as an indie.

I was wondering if I can deduct the cost of my massage therapy school on my tax return. I went to school in 2007 and 2008 but did not start working until 2009. I was told by some colleagues that I can deduct the cost of school the first year I start working. I want to make sure this is true before I file my taxes.

Thank you for your help.
Mary
Lyons, IL


Hello Mary,


I doubt you'd take advice from me on massage procedure and method. So it's good that you are checking out the tax advice given you by your fellow massage therapists.

They are wrong.

The costs of education to learn a new profession is not a business deduction. It doesn't matter when the expense occurred.

You may deduct the costs of education to maintain or augment skills in your current profession.

There are non-business tax benefits for the costs of education -- both credits and deductions. They could have been taken in 2007 and 2008. Discuss with your tax pro whether you took advantage of them and whether or not it is worthwhile to amend your back returns if you did not.

-- June

No comments: