Thursday, April 22, 2010

Audit potential?


June --

Been tracking (officially) my income/expenses from writing for just about a year now. I've actually been teaching creative writing and submitting fiction pieces to literary journals for several years (more than a decade). I have done my taxes through a software program, but I am paranoid that I have done something wrong, mostly because I haven't made any money on my authorship.

Additionally, my husband, for whom I prepare his taxes, is self-employed but hasn't made any money in a couple of years. He is a management consultant.

Will all of this trigger an audit? I would be more than willing to pay for advice!

Many thanks,
Kristine
Walnut Creek, CA


Dear Kristine,

An indie who is legitimately pursuing his or her profession should never fear an audit.

As long as you can prove the legitimacy of your business -- how to do this is explained in my book Self-employed Tax Solutions -- and as long as your records are accurate you would smoothly fly though an audit.

Audits can be random or for specific reasons. Even indies with profits year after year can be audited. They, too, must keep just as accurate records as do indies with losses year after year. Here are lots of posts on recordkeeping . And you might want to check out my petite publication on recordkeeping, The Confident Indie: Five Easy Steps.

-- June

No comments: