Monday, November 24, 2008

Taxpayer Advocates Help with IRS Problems

I received an email from someone explaining a complex IRS audit in progress. Although the problem is not of general interest to my readers the question and my response are.

After explaining the situation, Mary, from Williamsburg, Washington, asked: Is there any statute stating that because of undue hardship, monetary, and time, the IRS must grant our request for a change of venue?

Whenever you deal with the IRS and the actions of the IRS cause you undue hardship, you should contact the Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) office. The service is offered by the IRS. It gives free, independent, and confidential tax assistance to taxpayers unable to resolve their tax problems through normal channels or individuals experiencing a hardship. The Taxpayer Advocate Service helps individual and business taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS.

In Washington the LTA contact info is:
915 2nd Ave.,
Stop W-405,
Seattle, WA 98174

The Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free phone number is 877-777-4778.


Anonymous said...

June, thank you for your suggestion, but do you think the taxpayer advocate is similar to Human resources in a large company where they are really for the benefit of the large corporation?

June Walker said...

Anonymous --

I have no experience with corporate human resources. I know that the Taxpayer Advocates office is truly working on behalf of the taxpayer.

-- June