Saturday, November 29, 2008

Graphic Artist in London

Dear June,

First, thank you for taking the time to help me with my questions and concerns.

I am a freelance artist and designer, I have been freelance for about 20 years.

This coming June 2009, I will be going to London, where my son will attend school for 1 year. Because I used to live there as I was married to an Englishman, and my other two sons are already there with dad, I have the ability to work in London legally.

So my question is about taxes. Will I have to pay taxes to the US on the money that I will be earning in the UK, as well as paying taxes to the UK on the same money? If I have to pay taxes to both countries, I will end up with very little, so I am not sure at all about these tax rules.

I would appreciate any help that you can provide about this situation.

Sincerely,
Adrienne
Winter Springs, FL


Dear Adrienne,

This is how it works from the US side.


You must pay Self-employment [SE] tax on your net self-employed earnings. (Take a look at these posts for more info on SE tax -- taxes -- self-employment tax (7) .)

Since you will be out of the country for a relatively short time you must pay income tax just as you would were you living in the States.

If you were out of the country for an extended period of time -- think of it as almost a year, and the time can straddle years -- close to $90,000 of your income would not be subject to US income tax. But, you must still pay SE tax.

If you must pay income tax to the country you are in then the US will give you credit for taxes paid to that country. That means you will not be doubly taxed. Each country has its own tax laws so you must ask the taxing authorities in the UK what are your tax obligations.

Also be aware that the US has reciprocal tax agreements with many countries.

You might want to take a look at these posts foreign situations (7) .

And, you are welcome!

Best,
June

No comments: