Thursday, February 21, 2008

Houseboat Home Office

June --

I am an Ad Agency New Business Consultant. I've been consulting for 3 months.

My wife and I own a home in Birmingham, AL. I have a houseboat in Nashville, TN.

When I was an employee at an ad agency in Nashville I lived on a houseboat through the week and was back in Birmingham on the weekends.

Since starting my own consultancy, I have two clients in Birmingham and Atlanta.
I have another client in Nashville so I’m in Nashville servicing that account two days a week. I have a houseboat there that I use as office space where I spend one to two nights.

I’m registered to vote and my drivers license is in Alabama. I do have space designated on the houseboat for office usage.

Two questions: Can I deduct a portion of the boat as office space? Can I claim residency in Tennessee which has no state income tax?

Your site has been the most helpful resource I've found in working from home. I forwarded your article Designers Dozen: Tax Saving Tips to about two dozen graphic artist that I know along with a link to your blog and website.

Thanks,
Michael

Business Runs Better on a Full Tank

michael gass consulting
Advertising Agency New Business Consultant
(877) 695-7466
michael@michaelgass.com
www.agencynewbiz.blogspot.com
To learn more, please visit www.michaelgass.com


Hello Michael,

Please keep telling colleagues and friends about my blog. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Yes, you may take a deduction for the costs for a home office on your houseboat. Rules apply same as they do to any other type residence.

You may have as many home offices as your indie business needs and you may take the home office deduction for all of them.

Also keep in mind that the cost of getting from one work location to another is a business transportation expense.

And sorry, no, you cannot claim Tennessee as your state of residence. Good try.

Best,
June

Check out my book Self-employed Tax Solutions. It will simplify your tax and financial life, and save you money!

No comments: