Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where & How to Get State Info on Indies

June --

I am from Summerville, SC. I've been a handyman for
7yrs.

My question is: I do work for 2 local companies. They are independent and have workers compensation insurance. I do just about anything for them. I have never had workers compensation insurance because it costs so much. They are now saying that I need to have WC insurance myself because their wc carrier says so.

Where do I find out the 'law' of SC so that I don't spend money that might not be needed.

Shannon



Dear Shannon,

Every state differs on it workers compensation regulations. Every state differs on a lot of regulations affecting indies. There are many routes to getting information.

Contact your local what used to be called the Department of Labor. Read my post Homeland Security or Jobs 'n' Things which was about the NC Department of Labor and you'll see what I mean about the title of the agency.

If nobody there can help call your local Small Business Development Center -- often located at a community college, or your local chapter of SCORE.

I googled "South Carolina Workers Compensation " and came up with South Carolina Where Business Connects . There are many sources there.

Hope this points you and other indies in the right direction.

-- June

No comments: