Thursday, December 20, 2007

Starting Out With a Loss

Hi June,

I just moved to Jacksonville, Florida coming from all over the country working as a PGA professional at private golf clubs. I worked as a club pro up into mid August and then I got engaged and became sales representative for golf apparel working from home.

I collected unemployment from mid august until late November.

I invested in a new vehicle, new clothing, new office equipment, work supplies etc.

I have received $100.00 dollars in commissions as of 12/18/2007. I have future commissions coming but I have no idea what I should do for tax purposes. Can I write off some of these expenses without really earning anything yet? Can I write them off in 2008? Can you help?

Thank you.
Dan in Jacksonville, FL


Hello Dan,

The quick answer: As long as you are in business trying to make money you may deduct business expenses even if you make no money.

The long answer: You need a lot of info. I see you requested a copy of my business expenses list. On the email that accompanied the list was a suggestion to read Is it a deductible business expense? on my website .


On this blog there is a lot of info about all kinds of expenses. Check out the category list on the left. You mention purchasing new clothes, so maybe a good place to start is the category expenses -- workclothes-uniforms-costumes .

And, congratulations on your engagement.

Happy Holidays!
June

No comments: