Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Jack or Jane of All Trades: How does an indie define a business?

Hi,

I'm a writer/designer/wearable art & life style accessories maker, thus my question: How broadly can I define my business?

If I do all of these things and make money at all of them, can I have one umbrella company that does it all? Or do I have to bifurcate the writing and communications activities from the design and manufacturing? To clarify, I'm primarily a technical communicator, but I have also started a jewelry and lifestyle accessories business. I plan on trying to get some writing published in jewelry and accessories publications, so where do I have to draw the line?

So how many "plates" can I have in my "cafeteria business" under one name and under one sole proprietorship? If you know the cartoonist Larson, it's a little bit like the one with "Lou's FillDirt and Croissants."

Regards,
Christine, from Belmont, CA


Hello Christine,

What a great question. So many indies have irons in many fires -- fill-dirt and croissants is stretching it a bit too much, of course. The goal is to legitimately combine as many of aspects of your money-making activities under one profession or one business as you possibly can. The biggest reason: It simplifies your recordkeeping.


Here's the test that will help you decide: Write one press release announcing your business. In it combine all your services and products. If you can comfortably put them all together in one press release, and if you would not have a problem sending out that press release, then you're OK with one business.

Often the skills in one area give authenticity or credibility to another area. I see no stretch between designer/wearable art & life style accessories maker. And if you write about these things, that you write about other subjects as well does not make writing a separate business.

Best,
June

No comments: