Thursday, December 20, 2007

First Year Freelance Writer

Hi June,

I started working as a full-time freelance writer in January 2007, and since then I haven't paid any taxes. (I did pay my income taxes in April, but that was based on my normal full-time job from 2006.)

I've missed three periods of paying estimated taxes, and now I'm not sure if/when I should pay them or if I am exempt because it's my first year as a self-employed freelancer.

I know I probably need to pay a penalty to the IRS but I'm not even sure how to do that.

Will general tax software be able to help me with this?

I really want to get back on track with all of my taxes and all caught up. Any help you have on how to do this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Stephanie New York, NY


Hello Stephanie,

First: You are not exempt from taxes because this is your first year of freelancing. Now who could have told you that?!

Read this Estimated Taxes to get an overview of how estimated taxes work. Then read my other blog posts on estimated taxes if you need more info.

I do not think that tax software does a good job for indies. Most programs are geared for employees or else small businesses that make widgets. Independent professionals are a unique breed and need special tax treatment by a pro who understands tax law as it applies to the self-employed. Educate yourself about what is and is not deductible. Read my posts on how to pick a tax pro and you'll be headed in the right direction. If you want more information, my book, Self-employed Tax Solutions, will give you a solid understanding of the basics.

Best,
June

No comments: