Thursday, November 8, 2007

Wacky payment method?

June --

I have been a sole proprietor home care physical therapist for 10 years.

Can sole proprietors be paid via direct deposit in NY? We were always told no, but now one of my clients ( a hospital) wants us to sign up for direct deposit. I'm leery. Any advice?


Frank -- Franklin Square, NY

Hello Frank,

"We were always told." Told by whom for goodness sake?!!!! And for what tax reason were you not allowed to have your payment deposited directly into your checking or savings account?

I get emails where indies have been told a lot of wacky things, and let me tell you that's up there with the wackiest. You may be paid in and by anything -- camels, dollars, rubles, gold, check, credit card, cash, barter, wampum, even direct deposit into your bank account.

And it's all income that must be reported on your tax return.


You must email me back and tell me who told you that.

Best,
June

No comments: