Thursday, November 29, 2007

Receipts for Travel Expenses

June --

I have been an indie for 6 months - as a researcher, speaker, and writer about world affairs - in Reston, VA.

When I travel for business, do I need receipts for every bite of food or hotel room I deduct or can I take a standard deduction? If standard, where do I find the rates?

Thank you.

Hello William,

On a tax return travel expenses fall in to two categories: Meals and Everything Else.For Meals & Incidentals you do not need receipts. You may instead use the IRS "per diem" amount for the city you were in and the date you were there.
The rates are in IRS Publication 1542.For Everything Else you must have receipts. Be sure to read Business Travel Expenses on my website.


No comments: