Monday, November 26, 2007

Do it right!

June ...

I just recently found your blog and cant wait to run out and buy your book!

I am a sole proprietor operating out of my home within Philadelphia. As you probably know, Philadelphia has the highest business taxes in the country. My business is new and I have yet to pay these taxes (not even sure I can afford them).

Anyway, onto my question ... does it make sense to setup my business outside of the city at, say, my in-law's address? I'm not sure this is legal or not. I'm sure you'll advise me. If I'm able to do this, will this prohibit me from taking a home office deduction? I'm sure there are a ton of negatives I'm not considering, but the taxes in the city are out of control!!! and I cannot move until the housing market comes back up.

thanks so much. jason.


Hello Jason,

So glad you found my blog! I know Philadelphia. I have clients and a daughter there.

Using an address strictly to avoid taxes is fraud. Don't do it. Your best defense against high taxes is information. So, instead of finagling, learn as much as you can about business deductions and other indie financial tax and money matters. . It's a new "business" you're starting. Do it the right way. Legitimately. And people will treat you -- and pay you -- as a legitimate business.

And please, do run out -- really quickly -- and buy my book, Self-employed Tax Solutions.

Best,
June

No comments: