Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Travel Expenses

Hi June,

I hope you can answer this for me. I am a freelance writer who contributes regularly to our regional paper as well as a magazine we recently launched. I am what you would call a generalist (features) covering all kinds of topics -- design, food, interviews/profiles, travel, social issues etc... I get to write pretty much whatever I pitch.

My question is this: Because of my inherently lazy nature, I didn't hustle nearly as much as I could have and so didn't make more than $1500 this year.


The paper wants to run a travel story on a city in Switzerland I visited with my husband when he was on business. What can I deduct?

Are there limitations for deductions based on how much I get paid for an article? I will probably get $250 for this short piece.

Thanks so much! Your site has been a huge help so far! Thanks for your time

Robin -- Milroy Pennsylvania



Hi Robin,

First, know that, as long as you were pursuing freelance income for a profit you may deduct all your expenses related to pursuing that income. There are no limitations for deductions based on how much you get paid for an article.

The TRAVEL section in my book, SELF-EMPLOYED TAX SOLUTIONS, is the one section in which I tell readers that they'll never remember it all. They'll have to refer to it often, it's very complex. So I'll attempt a quick summary regarding your Switzerland trip. You didn't go there for business, so your general travel expenses are not deductible. You may deduct only costs of the trip that specifically relate to the piece you would write. For instance, if you paid admission to a cultural museum and that is the attraction you wrote about.


The best way to get the most business travel deductions is to know the rules and plan ahead.

Great! Glad my site is so helpful.

Cheers,
June

No comments: