Sunday, January 28, 2007

How to pick a Tax Professional

HI June,

I recently listened to your seminar through the Early to Rise Wealth Building Bootcamp and found your insight to be great!I am located in the Jacksonville, FL area and would like to know if you have any accountants you would recommend in this area who are knowledgeable with self-employed tax law and returns. I'm not satisfied with my current accountant. Please help! Thanks.

BTW, my business partner and I run an import business, El Centro Imports, LLC www.elcentroimports.com where we travel to Central American markets and bring back artisan items to sell in the States. So far its been a good way to have tax-deductible travels!

Chris at www.elcentroimports.com


Hello Chris,

Yours is always the one tax question I get for which I have no specific answer. I have clients all over the country and I get questions from the States and beyond. I ask them all to pass on to me any tax pro they find who they feel is really good. Not too many responses yet, and none from Florida.

It's difficult to find a tax pro who understands the tax laws and regs as they apply to self-employeds. Your best defense is to learn as much as you can. You might want to start by reading, "Is it a deductible business expense?" on my site
. Or about LLC vs incorporating below.

If you like what you read check out my book
Self-employed Tax Solutions. The information in Solutions will give you a firm foundation on which to interview and seek out a tax preparer.

Start by asking other indies whom they use. Sometimes the Small Business Association can direct you to someone. But, always, no matter where the recommendation comes from, ask questions of the pro before you engage him or her. Especially ask questions you know the answer to -- that'll give you a good idea where the pro is coming from. Also, find out how many indies he or she has as clients. Ask for a reference.

Good hunting. And thank you so much for letting me know your thoughts on the ETR seminar.

Best regards,
June


PS Let me know if you find a pro. Also, feel free to send me a question if you get stuck!


June,

Thanks very much for the info. I'll be sure to check out your site and blog, as well as continuing to ask other self-employeds about references. And you're right, it seems the only real way to get the right information is to educate yourself. I'll keep you posted if I find a good pro in this area. I'm sure there are plenty of others in Florida (especially here in Saint Augustine where there are lots of small businesses) who could use the help.
Thanks again. Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi June,

Do you know of anyone in Portland, OR? I just found your website and can't wait to read the whole thing! (That's gonna' take a while.)

Thanks for being such a bad-ass.

Amber