Saturday, October 20, 2007

More about Medical or Business Expense

Hello June,

I have a wonderful therapist who is very expensive! I understand that it's fine to deduct psychotherapy. Now this therapist also happens to be a great bodyworker, and occasionally he does bodywork and other kinds of body-oriented psychotherapy on me. Even though I know "massage" isn't deductible, I still deduct this. Is that kosher? How about herbs that I buy from him?

I also get lots of massages and body treatments for myself--no way of making that deductible, though, right?


Finally, even though I teach "raw culinary arts," a lot of my students have health related questions, so I'm up on a lot of things regarding herbs, supplements, yoga, and exercise. Can I deduct expenses related to these things as "business research" related expenses such as yoga, DVDs and classes?

Thanks.
Jenny


Hello Jenny,

If the body-
oriented psychotherapy is part of your medical therapy treatment, the same way that, for instance, art therapists may work with children, then I would consider it a medical deduction. However, you need to ask your psychotherapist whether he classifies it as a medical treatment, that is whether he has a code # for health insurance reimbursement.

You are correct. Massages and body treatments are not medical deductions. Wish they were! See Medical or Business Expense on whether you may deduct the cost of yoga.

Yes, the costs of DVDs and classes that better prepare you to answer your students' questions are deductible business expenses.

Best, June

No comments: