Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Time is not a business expense.

Hello June,

I heard about your business from The National Psychologist. I am a psychologist in private practice.

Here's my question:

How do I calculate maximum deductions for Continuing Education expenses? Someone told me that for each hour spent in a CE pursuit it is allowable to deduct my hourly fee. This would be in addition to the actual cost of the CE course offering.

Also, can I deduct my hourly fee for each hour I spend in reading or pursuing informal, and therefore undocumented, Continuing Education knowledge?

Thank you for your materials and information and your focus on us indies.

Patricia, PhD
Dear Patricia,

I bet that "someone" was a psychologist, not an accountant. Or else someone who just does a lot of wishful thinking.

Your time is not a business expense. Whether you use your time to learn, to treat a patient who has no money, to volunteer at that battered women's center, or to cut the grass at the church.

Generally, you may deduct as a business expense the cost of the education, the supplies for the course, the transportation to and from the course. There are many regs regarding the deduction of education costs. And there are many ways to take advnatage of education expenses, for instance, as a tax credit rather than as a business expense. Which works best for you depends on your total tax picture.

Here are some posts you might want to read:
expenses -- donated services or products
and also some on
expenses -- education-study-research

Please send this post to someone.

Cheers,
June

No comments: