Friday, April 22, 2011

Owner's draw is not for indies.

Hi June,

Thanks for sending me the Quicken Categories For Indies List. I will go back and get your books later.

I am having a little trouble with how to categorize a Business Draw in Quicken 2011. I keep my business account and home account as separate Quicken files. So there isn't a way to "Transfer" the money. I usually write a check from one and deposit it in the other. I will try the X Change-In category on your list when I record the deposit of the Business-Draw in my personal account.

Have a great day,
Jennie


Hi Jennie,

This really calls for a lengthy explanation, but I'm going to try to make it short and clear.

Sole proprietorships don't have an owners draw situation. That's a transaction within a corporation.

A sole proprietor transfers money from one account to another. In your case it may be from a business checking account to a personal checking account.

In Quicken you may simply [hard bracket the account] in the category field.That will show the transfer in both the out and in accounts

But, if you want to give the transfer a category of its own at each side of the transfer try this:
From the going out side make it an expense category MONEY TO PSL ACCT
At the receiving side make it an income category MONEY FROM BUS CKG ACCT 

Please add a comment letting me know if this helps.

Best,
June

No comments: