Friday, March 4, 2011

One day does not an indie make.



June --

I'm in Burlington, KY and I was last a director of operations at the Creation Museum (Answers in Genesis) but have been laid off for two years. I THINK I've been an indie for 1 day.

A former co-worker (lecturer/author) just left the same organization that laid me off (I was there 11 yrs)and started his own ministry. He has asked me to do some part-time admin support for him from home using his laptop and cell phone. Does that make me an Indie?

Ted
Burlington, KY


Hi Ted,

No, you're not an indie if you work for only one day. That's considered incidental income because you are not engaged in a business nor motivated by profit. You must include the income as "other income" on page 1 of your 1040 tax return.
If, however, you mean that this is the first day of working on a regular basis, albeit part-time, for a former co-worker it sounds to me as if you are an employee, not self-employed.
Take a look here Employee vs. Self-employed for more info.

-- June

No comments: