Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Designer needs a saner way to organize taxes for her preparer.


June --

I do any sort of 'design' job someone ask for. Initially schooled in graphic design (pre-computer) then fell into Photostyling. That led to jobs that required architectural drawing know how, and took that to do home remodels and interior design. Have taught myself computer graphics and do some of that now too. Been doing this all for 35 years...only 15 of those as someone else's employee. Sole Proprietor status now for 13 years.

I am on your contact list and devour your newsletters. Needing a saner way to organize my taxes for my preparer. Why does this seem so overwhelming??

Thank you for the deduction list in advance. Hoping this helps. One thing I would love is a checklist or 'method' that I could use as I begin 'the big receipt sort'. I know there are computer software/programs and am willing to commit to one if I knew what was best for someone like me.

Thank you!
Lou Ann
WayAppleton, WI


Hi Lou Ann,

Way, way back when computers took up almost your entire desk top everyone was gung-ho to do their bookkeping on computer. They thought it meant an instant solution to the pile of receipts stashed in the shoe boxes. Well, doesn't work that way. A computer program doesn't work if there isn't a manual system first.

My manual method is The Most Simple System. Clients have been using it for decades. It works regardless of amount of income. It's simple. It misses no deductions, It does not require a computer. Your tax preparer will love the results. It will take her less time to do your return so her fees may be less.

I've put the entire system into a 75 page PDF that includes worksheets for your 2010 tax return. It's The Confident Indie: Five Easy Steps. Check it out.

Best,
June

No comments: