Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recordkeeping-Quicken-QuickBooks


June- I'm at wits end finally trying to get my books in order. Wondering if you are able to help or if you have recommendations for someone out here in Los Angeles. Found your site after google search. I'm writing this after spending the day, yet again, trying to figure out how to set up my QB accounts and after buying YNAB to try and get myself on a budget. AAAAhhhhh!!!! I'm no closer than I was 6 hours ago and need pro help on this. I'm a Freelance Multimedia Producer ... 5 years

Thanks
Mike

Sherman Oaks, CA


Hi Mike,

I understand. I really do. First, forget about QuickBooks. It's way too complicated for a newbee. If you want to keep records on computer use Quicken. Buy the easiest, cheapest version. Go here for my free list of Quicken Categories For Indies .

I really should have listed that as second. Because first comes: What do you want your recordkeeping to do for you? If it's simply to give you income and expenses at year-end in preparation for your tax return, you can do that manually or on computer. If you want to go the easy, simple, manual route, take a look at The Confident Indie: Five Easy Steps . It explains a manual system and has worksheets for your 2010 tax return. Most of my indie clients prep for their tax returns using this method. It really works.

If you want monthly or quarterly reports of income and expenses, or you are really comfortable with #s and computer data software rather than prose and audio software then use Quicken.

Also, if you are going backward and redoing 2010, then I suggest manual. If you are starting to do 2011, then either/or.

Hope that helps.
-- June

No comments: