Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Don't get hung up on having a business checking account.


June --


I am starting a side business while currently employed. Trying to stay under the radar from my boss knowing about this (so please don't print unless use a different name and state).

Due to financial difficulties, I am unable to get a business checking account so I plan to use one of my personal bank accounts exclusively for business income and expenses. I use a different business name than my real name but intend to put on my invoices to make checks out to my real name.

My question is do I need to file a fictitious name with the state?

Jane Noname
Utah


Hi Jane Noname,

First things first: Read this You Do Not Need A Business Checking Account. You'll see there that as a sole proprietor who is not an LLC that there are time and recordkeeping advantages to not using a business checking account. Also, note that There are many other posts on checking accounts in my blog right here checking account .

I do not recommend sending an invoice in one name and asking to be paid in another name even if it is your own. People often do that to skirt around claiming income and it gives a non-professional feel to things. Why not bill in your own name and use a clever tag line under your name that relates to or describes your business?

You don't say what you do so I can't give you any suggestions on a name but ask your bank if a check made out to, say, Jane Noname Services would be acceptable into a Jane Noname checking account.

Here's some posts on using a business name DBA - Doing Business As .

-- June

No comments: