Saturday, March 6, 2010

Self-employed Tax Solutions: Don't judge a book by its cover.


Most authors have disagreements with their publishers. I am no different. One of my disagreements was about the cover of the 2nd edition. A broken puzzle! No way, I said. My book helps indies put things together, etc, etc, etc. Well, also, as with most author-publisher battles, I, the author, lost.

I give you this review from Amazon, yes, because it's a review an author would die for, yet mostly because Will said he read it -- albeit last -- in spite of the cover.

Thank you to Will.

And here's what Will said. [Italics mine.] After you've read his comments you may check out Self-employed Tax Solutions, 2nd here on Amazon.

Stunned by how terrific this book is, March 4, 2010
By
Will Kalif "StormTheCastle" - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase (
What's this?)

Preamble: What this book is and isn't. This isn't really a book that you get because you are now doing your taxes. It is a help in that regard because it will help you sort through your receipts and expenses and utilize the ones that count.. but, this book is much more suited toward helping you keep easy and straight forward records throughout your year so you can make the absolute most out of your taxes when it comes time to do them.

Okie here is my review:

Tax season is here and I ordered six of these books. Saved this one for last because it has the least appealing cover and title. Wow, was that a mistake. I should have read this one first. I slowly and laboriously read through all the other ones, after a while I was seeing double because they all repeated the same things over and over again -- until I got to this one - wham, it was like a whack on the side of the head. This book is fresh and unique. (hard to believe when we are talking taxes huh?) Hey, good record keeping is key to getting the most out of tax time. But as a independent small business owner I don't want to spend my time as a record keeper/accountant I want to spend my time doing what I love to do. Hey, voila this book simply and easily tells you how to keep records in a way that makes sense and..

And it gives you all kinds of scenarios for what is tax deductible and what is not. Business travel? Business transportation? Is there a difference? There sure is. Business meals? Have more questions? Using your car for business transportation? Spending money on things and not sure if you can claim them? This book gives you a common sense and honest approach to what is fair and deductible. And how to easily keep track of it.

I highly recommend this book. Now don't just get this book. But get it along with any other(s) you get. Order any other tax books that seem to be right for you then tack this one onto the end. Give this book six stars if I could. Breath of fresh air in the middle of a tax season hurricane.


Buy from Amazon here Self-employed Tax Solutions, 2nd

2 comments:

Bob said...

What's the difference between this book and the Confident Indie?

June Walker said...

Glad you asked.

Self-employed Tax Solutions is a full-length book and covers the money basics of being self-employed:
** What it is to be an indie.
** Income
** Expenses are explained in depth.
** What taxes are paid and how they are paid by indies.
** Recordkeeping & worksheets.
** And much more.

The Confident Indie: Five Easy Steps, is a petite publication.
It expands on the basics of recordkeeping that are in the book and also has current full-size worksheets.

-- June