Monday, March 29, 2010

Assess the situation. Then make the right choice.

No surprise to all of you, I'm sure, that my posts have been minimal these last weeks. Well, it's tax season and client deadlines take precedence. I did want to get this out to all of you as a caution about whom to ask about what.

I receive 100s of questions. The ones I find most disturbing are those that seek answers to complex tax situations that the indie expects will be resolved by a quick emailed response. They are disturbing because I am concerned that independents don't know how or where to get accurate information.


Here's an example: from Laurie:
My husband started an LLC Partnership this year. He is the active/general partner, subject to SE tax. The other 2 partners are not subject to SE tax based on their role in the partnership. Can my husband submit his SE taxes as reimbursable expenses to the LLC? The other alternative is to increase his percentage of the profits to cover the additional financial burden, but I suspect the other partners may not be too keen on that.


So, I ask: Why wouldn't Laurie ask her tax pro who is familiar with and has all the particulars of her situation? Was this partnership formed without the advice of an attorney or tax pro? Done online for $29.95? To even consider that SE taxes might be reimbursable expenses shows that the questioner knows little if anything about partnership taxes.

Indies, please, I know these are tough times and you are all trying to save money. Yet, be aware of when to call in a pro, when to rely on a quick emailed response, or when to try to handle it on your own. Just like knowing when you can handle a cold or headache on your own or when you need to see a doctor. If you don't call in the pro at the right time it will likely cost you more in the end.

-- June

No comments: