Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A home is a home is a home.

Hi June,

First, thank you so much for the list of possible business deductions.

I'm also wondering about taking depreciation on a home office. Since I'm purchasing a condo, can't I take depreciation for the percent of my home devoted to an office? Also, can't I take the same percent applied to mortgage interest paid and to property taxes?

Again, thanks for helping me launch.

Jack



Dear Jack,

Yes, you may take all those deductions. All the regs that apply to a home office apply whether it's a condo, houseboat, free standing home. It doesn't matter, so you get the same deductions. It's explained here on my website Office-in-the-Home Expense .


And, you are welcome. I'm sure the expense list will be of use to you.

Best,
June

No comments: