Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Auto Arithmetic

Hello June,

I found you through a Google Search. If you don't mind, I've got a question I'm sure you could answer.

So, I am starting a home based business as a sole proprietor, and I am using my personal vehicle for business as well.

If I am to take my car out to two locations on the same trip, one being for personal purposes and the other for business purposes, how do I determine the number of miles to attribute to each?

For example, let's say I'm starting from home and drive 10 miles to the mall to shop for personal, then drive an extra 5 miles to the bank for business, and then 15 miles home. How do I split up the miles? [June's calling this SCENARIO 1.]

Another scenario would be if I, again, start from home and drive 10 miles to the bank for business, and then an extra 5 miles to the mall to shop for personal purposes, and then 15 miles home. How do I split up these miles? [June's calling this SCENARIO 2.]

Thank you June, in advance.

Sincerely,

Sarah


Hello Sarah,


From your total miles for the trip you subtract what would be your personal miles were you to have done only personal errands. What's left are business miles. Think of it as a grade-school arithmetic problem. It's not more complicated than that.

SCENARIO 1:
30 miles = total trip
20 miles = personal miles to the mall and back, as if mall were the only errand
10 miles = business

SCENARIO 2:
30 miles = total trip
20 miles = business, as if if business were the only errand
10 miles = personal, additional miles going to the mall


-- June

No comments: