Monday, May 4, 2009

Audit Choice


Hi June,

Graphic design / music. Three years.

I'm being audited by the IRS this year for 2006. I don't know why. I made nothing. My accountant says it's because I made $1000 but we deducted $3000. It was the year I bought my laptop. I'm so glad I purchased your book, Self-employed Tax Solutions, a year ago.

I've been gathering my receipts and realized that about 5 of the important receipts i used for 2006 actually are dated jan-mar of 2007. If didn't use them for 2007 tax year, is it okay to have used them in 2006? I should have looked more carefully.

Best,
Sandy


Hi Sandy,

Just about all audits are randomly chosen. You might also think of them as chosen from batches. An unmarried photographer with a loss for a several years may be in one batch. Another photographer with several years of loss but married to a high-earning spouse may be in another batch because the situation may look like a home-made tax shelter -- an expensive hobby supported by a spouse. So, none of us laymen knows why you were chosen. I doubt your accountant is correct.

You are a cash-basis taxpayer -- explained here. You cannot use 2007 receipts for 2006. Yes, you should have been more careful. As careful as you would be were you designing my promo material and had to approve proofs before having 5000 printed.

Best,
June

No comments: