Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pianist's Dad


Isn't it interesting how certain events happen at just the right time? I have many, many questions from my readers sitting in my DO bin. I answer as quickly as time allows and pretty much in the order received. But this one from Carlos I received this morning and it fits so well with yesterday's post Writer's Mom that I wanted to juxtapose in order to further my point to parents of indies.

A while back I received a request for my business expense list from Carlos, a Pianist/Organist/Cantor. He mentioned in the request that he was blind. When I sent him the expense list I asked if he were blind or were he using that to mean blind to understanding taxes. Here's his response.

Good Morning June,
Thank you for sending me the expenses list for musicians. Actually, my father always help me prepare my tax and he was the one who recommended me to send you an email because your website helped him to discover what are the expenses that could be legally deduct on my income tax as a self-employed musician. He didn't know this before because we only have a tax preparer not a tax adviser or advocate like you do. Even I don't prepare my own income tax, it is nice to learn things about taxes and the legal things around it. Sorry to mention my being blind in one of your questionaire, it really has no relation on your advice. I have read some of your advice to the indies like me, I could compare you to my spiritual director who only advise me for the good of my soul. No cutting corners. God bless you, you are one of a kind.


carlos

Fairfax, VA


Hi Carlos,

Thanks for getting back to me. You have a good -- and smart -- father. I am glad he had you contact me. So many parents think that the way to help their children -- even kids in their 20s and 30s -- is to do for them instead of teaching them how to do. Check out this most recent blog post "Writer's Mom" at http://junewalkeronline.blogspot.com/2009/02/writers-mom.html .

I am mailing you -- and your dad -- a gift. Listen and learn.

Thank you for your blessing. I very much appreciate it.

Best regards,
June Walker

No comments: