Sunday, February 15, 2009

Indie Time-Travel: Reconstruct 2008


Hi June --

I'm a reset merchandiser, less than 1 year as an indie. I'm frustrated and confused because I have made some serious mistakes as an indie meaning I didn't hold onto my receipts and now I don"t think I can get my write-offs. Is there anyway I can still get my 1. mileage 2. my uniform 3.tools HELP THIS INDIE NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melanie
St Berryville, Va


Hello Melanie,

All is not lost. You just need to do some time travel through 2008. Open your date book or computer calendar and relive last year. Recall what you did.

Regarding mileage, you must go through calendars and appointment books perhaps phone records as well, anything that will refresh your memory as to where you drove for business during last year. You may estimate but you'll need something to substantiate your estimates -- client business cards, an invitation to an event, emails still on your computer that you could print out.

For uniforms and tools if you paid by check or credit card it is easy enough to contact the bank and have copies of statements and cancelled checks sent to you. Take pictures of the tools and uniforms to help substantiate your purchases.

Learn from your past mistakes.

Best,
June

No comments: