Saturday, July 21, 2007

Newly self-employed AND working at a job

Hi June,

I've recently started a new lawn care business, but I still retain a full time job. When I do my taxes how would I go about that? Would I have to do them separately, or could I combine both in one form.

One last question when I do this either way, I'm I able to write of the equipment that I bought for my business.

Thank You.
Jack from Pennsylvania

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on your new business.

As a sole proprietorship -- that is the structure of your business -- you do not file two separate tax returns. There will be additional pages in your return that relate to your business.

You may deduct from your business income each and every business expense that you have including the daily paper if you buy it to check the weather forecast.

I can tell from your questions that you need a lot of information. I suggest that you start by reading Is it a deductible business expense? on my website and Estimated Taxes on this blog.

If you like what you read there, I encourage you to buy a copy of my book, Self-employed Tax Solutions. The book answers many of the most common self-employed questions in the same easy-to-understand style you'll find in my columns.

I wish you much success in your new venture!

Best regards,
June Walker

No comments: