Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Artist is a Business

Dear June,

I am a full time art teacher and a working artist. I have a separate studio for my work in my home (rental), in Oakland, CA. My work has been shown in several gallery shows.

I just won a fellowship to attend an art retreat and build my online portfolio. The fellowship is taxed, and I am spending a considerable amount of money investing in my work, with the intent to show and sell my art professionally. I do not consider this a hobby, and will likely cut down my teaching load in the coming years as I set up a sustainable structure to sell my work.

Can I consider myself a business this year, even if I have a full time job and have not sold much artwork to date?

Also, are you planning to give any more seminars for women artists?

Thank you for your help!
Kimberley


Congratulations on your fellowship, Kimberley!


You say you are a working artist. If you are, and if you try to sell your art, then no matter how much or how little money you make, you are a self-employed in business. Any loss from your art business may be subtracted from your other income and so would lower your tax.

I have no seminars scheduled for California. There is a September seminar for women in Albuquerque, NM.

Best,
June

No comments: