Thursday, May 22, 2008

Can I deduct the cost of looking good?

Hi,

Rebecca here from Long Beach CA.

I am a health coach and one on one educator, I have been in practice for 7 years. I have heard all sorts of things about write offs in my profession. I do alot of referring to massage therapists, estheticians, trainers, etc etc. I spend alot of money on the things that keep me healthy and looking good, because no one wants health advice from someone who isnt fit and healthy. What types of write offs can I use?

Thank you.



Hi Rebecca,

You can write off the same kinds of things that every other indie can write off. To learn what the are, check out my list of over 100 business expenses. And also be sure to read Is it a deductible business expense? on my website .

Now to address, what I assume is your question on the specific costs of looking good. You say "no one wants health advice from someone who isn't fit and healthy." Well, I hope it comes as no surprise to you, healthy, fit looking people are more successful and or make more money than do those who don't get a clean bill of health. Whether a fashion model on a runway, a realtor trying to sell a home, a sculptor giving a talk on his wood cutting methods, an IT guy crawling under and behind the desks to work on computers, people have more confidence in someone who is attractive and healthy.

And then of course there's the high cost of medical care for unhealthy people which impacts us all.

And the fun stuff, like a healthy grandma who runs a race with her four-year-old grandchild, climbing to the top of a peak to get the best view, the ability to stay awake and alert all night to help out a friend.

That's the long way of saying that you can't deduct the costs of staying healthy. But then again, if the government gave a big tax credit for gym attendance and vegetable consumption we might have a healthier nation.

Cheers,
June

No comments: