Monday, April 7, 2008

Hubby in the Office: Not Good

Hi June,

I have been self-employed as a writer and editor since 1991. About half of my income is from travel writing...I'm coauthor of guidebooks to Oregon, Montana, and Utah. In the past, I've always deducted my meals and entertainment when I'm traveling to research these books (which require regular updating) at the 50% level.

But since reading your book, it occurs to me that I could classify them as research and thus claim 100%. What do you think?

Also, about that home office...mine is a small portion of a room that I use all day long for work. Sometimes, after dinner my husband will space out in front of You Tube or check sports scores on the computer in my office space. Does this disqualify me for the home office deduction?

Thanks so much,
Judy
Portland, OR


Hello Judy,


Meals and entertainment while traveling for business are considered meals & entertainment expense and so are deductible at 50%.

If you take a client to a jazz club and discuss business before, during or after the show that's an entertainment expense. What I think you may be confused on is this: If a jazz musician goes to a jazz club to hear a certain saxophonist, that's research or education for the jazz musician, not an entertainment expense. In the same way that your going to a writers' workshop would be a research or study expense.

If your husband spaces out in the portion of the room that you use an an office, then absolutely no home office deduction allowed.

-- June

1 comment:

Nelson Lauver said...

Hello June,

My wife and I run our business from home. Much work gets done but it is not a great place for a meeting (neighbors ringing the door bell, dog's going nuts, phones ringing, oh the yard man just showed up with a crew of three.

In order to talk about business we often leave the house and find a nice "quiet" restaurant somewhere. My wife brings her well organized notepad and discussion material and she gives me the run down on what's going on with clients and what have you. Sometimes these meeting are just general staff meetings (between she and I), sometimes they are strategy planning meetings.

At what rate is the meal expense deductible, 50% or 100%?

If IBM has a staff meeting in a restaurant and picks up the tab... what % of that is tax deductible, and am I the same?

Nelson