Friday, August 17, 2007

Minister's Travel Expenses

June --

I am an ordained, self-employed minister. I will be traveling out of town serving as a interim for a local church. I will be leaving my home and staying in a different town 110 miles away from Sunday to Thursday. Am I entitled to the per diem method for taxes and can I deduct the mileage?

Thanks for your help.
Ed from Knoxville, TN

Ed --

I assume you work from home and that this assignment is temporary. The costs of getting there and back [travel expenses] are deductible. You may also use the per diem for meals and incidentals [not lodging] . You may use only actual costs for lodging.

There is more info on travel expenses at this link.

-- June

No comments: